Kansas City, Kansas is one of the many cities in the US you should have on your bucket list. Not only are the healthcare facilities outstanding, but the city is booming with great local restaurants, museums, and activities that are certainly bucket list worthy. It’s the perfect city for a travel nurse to gain experience and have a ton of fun at the same time. We asked our travelers that have been to the area what their favorite parts of the city were and they shared some awesome stuff! Take a look at 5 things to do in Kansas City from real travelers.
- 7th Street Casino: Try your luck at the 7th Street Casino. You can eat, drink, and play all night long. Spend an evening having some fun here and see if you can walk away with a little extra cash in your pocket.
- Schlitterbahn Waterpark Kansas City: Plan a time this summer to visit Kansas City’s favorite waterpark. The countless tube slides, falls, hideouts, and lazy rivers pretty much guarantee you will have a great time. It’s awesome day out for the entire family. Take a day off and head on over and cool off.
- National Airline History Museum: The National Airline History Museum is a must-see. The tickets are affordable and you get a unique glimpse into the amazing history of air travel. You can tour all sorts of aircrafts and get up close and personal with the pilot’s seat! It’s an incredible experience. Take a look at their website for a list of aircrafts and experiences you can see at the museum.
Where to grab a great meal: Slap’s BBQ
Slap’s BBQ is pretty much required for anyone visiting the Kansas City area. It’s a staple in the community and we can see why! Their menu is packed full of some amazing BBQ and it’s making our mouths water just reading it! You can even take a BBQ class. Now that is a skill everyone needs, right? They have some amazing reviews:
“We stopped by Wednesday evening for happy hour, and the service was quick, friendly and accurate. We got our plates to go. When we arrived home the food was still warm. This is our first time in the restaurant (I’ve used the catering service at work several times.) The food is just excellent. Thank you SLAP’S for a great night!”
“One my favorites in the Kansas City area for sure. Had lunch there a few years ago and thought the ribs were really good. So, I thought I would try SLAPS again to make sure. Yep, even better than the first time! Great BBQ! Ribs, brisket, beans and fries! Love the atmosphere as well. Definitely check it out if your looking for BBQ.”
“Was staying in Kansas City MI heading to Florida and wanted to try a BBQ place. Did a little searching. There were several choices, and with a little more research decided to try Slaps BBQ in Kansas City Kansas. I’ve tried several BBQ restaurants and this place is by far the best BBQ restaurant I’ve ever tried. Not only was the food absolutely delicious, but the prices are very reasonable!! My son and I had the sampler platter which was suggested to us by a very nice young man who was waiting on us. EVERY meat on that platter was amazing and the 2 sides we chose were the beans and potato casserole and those were exceptional as well. If you’re ever in the area and are hankering some tasty BBQ food, try them out. You will NOT be disappointed!! They’ve won many trophies too. I’d give them a 10 star if I could!! 😊😋”
Where to get a sweet treat: Hana’s Donuts
Hana’s Donuts is definitely the place to get some amazing treats when your sweet tooth gets a craving. I mean, just look at those donuts! They bake their donuts fresh daily and people are raving about their cinnamon rolls. If you visit there, we only ask that you ship a box to trustaff HQ (we need to taste test these too).
“I first learned about Hana’s because Boulevard Brewing did a beer/doughnut pairing with them a couple years ago. That was enough to get me over this out-of-the way bakery. I’m always glad I did.
I love Hana’s for a few reasons:
* The best & most original fruit pastries: apple cherry, raspberry, mango, apricot, peach, etc.
* Clever, but not too clever concoctions: this morning’s eggnog doughnut; I can’t stand normal eggnog.
* I’ve never had a doughnut that I wouldn’t eat again in a heartbeat.
* And most of all, cinnamon rolls that land in my top three in KC.”
“These donuts were delicious, best in Kansas for sure! We had to try one of almost everything! Great service, great conversations, and very welcoming! Definitely recommend the cinnamon rolls too”
“Our new family favorite! Great variety of doughnuts compared to any doughnut shop in the city. Try the cherry hearts! It reminds me of a funnel cake with cherry filling, so good! The sugar bismarcks are filled to order and they are fantastic plain or filled. The cinnamon rolls are legit and so are the old fashioned doughnuts!”
Our travelers definitely loved the area too. Here’s what they shared with us:
“Kansas City was great for a travel nurse. Lots of friendly people and there’s enough to do so you’re not bored. The facility was amazing and the staff nurses were so welcoming. On my list to head back there eventually.”
“I had a BLAST in Kansas City. It took me a little to get use to being so far away from home, but the staff was amazing and they made me feel so welcome. There are some great local places you have to visit while you’re here!”